- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes (not in stock)
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed and the skin diced
- 4 packets of Halloumi, drained and cut into cubes.
- 24-30 pitted green olives
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- 1 lemon – finely grated rind
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- handful of finely chopped fresh parsley.
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 150ml vegetable stock (not in stock)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
Halloumi is the delicious ‘squeaky cheese’ from Cyprus that is now available all over the world. Halloumi is popular because it is so versatile. It tastes great , cooked in slices on the barbecue and is equally tasty fried. You can cut the Halloumi into matchsticks and gently fry them as a snack for children and eat it straight from the fridge with some slices of tomato and some pitta bread. This traybake is quick to prepare and ideal for a hungry family.
Heat the oven to 200C/ Gas mark 6
In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together except the Halloumi blocks, olives and capers.
Pour the mixture into a large ovenproof pie dish and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
Remove the dish from the oven, stir in the olives, capers and seasoning.
Place the cubes of Halloumi in the tomatos sauce. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on the top of the dish.
Return the dish to the oven and bake for 30 minutes until the Halloumi is soft and golden and the breadcrumbs have browned.
Serve with a large bowl of green salad and some warmed slices of Pitta bread.