Are Artificial Sweeteners Healthy?
Although labelled as artificial, these sweeteners are only derived from natural products such as herbs and plants. These synthetic sugar substitutes offer sweet tastings with zero calories — an effective answer to weight-loss and diabetic patients with a sweet tooth!
While these magic bullets seem to be a heated argument with many perspectives, equally falling under the radar of unhealthy and healthy, here is how you can decide for yourself.
Artificial sweeteners can be attractive alternatives to sugar therefore many opt for them without any reason. Leaving behind other forms of candies, such sweeteners have their own pros and cons
Why you should have artificial sweeteners
• Zero calories in these sweeteners can help you attain and maintain a healthy body weight.
• It lowers the risk of heart disease as sugar tends to increase cholesterol and is harmful to your heart.
• It acts as a magic potion for those with diabetes as these artificial sweeteners are virtually not real sugar to your diet.
• Unlike sugars, artificial sweeteners do not react with the bacteria in our mouth. Therefore, they do not cause tooth decay.
Reason to avoid artificial sweeteners
• An ongoing concern is that people who use artificial sweeteners may have the urge to replace these lost calories through other sources which might result in weight gain or other health problems.
• Foods in which artificial sweeteners are used tend to taste different than those with regular sugar. However, once the taste is developed one might not feel much difference.
• Constant usage of this sugar alternative might limit tolerance for more complex tastes. People who routinely use artificial sweeteners may find natural sugar such as in fruit, less appealing. Furthermore, decreasing the like for unsweetened foods, such as vegetables. This way one may completely shun healthy, filling, and highly nutritious foods while consuming more artificially flavored foods with less nutritional value.
• Some artificial sweeteners may cause unpleasant symptoms, such as headaches, depression, and seizures which may vary as per individual.
Overall, the use of artificial sweeteners tends to have a stronger argument in favor of itself. Anything used in the right proportion is always beneficial and so are these sweeteners.
However, the likelihood of negative impacts can vary by individual and the type of sweetener being consumed. For some there is no better substitute other than sweeteners while some go for natural sweeteners instead. Choose wisely for yourself!