- 1 large cucumber
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes (not in stock)
- 1 large red onion peeled and finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh dill + spare for garnish (not in stock)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon of white mustard seeds (not in stock)
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar teaspoon (not in stock)
This unusual salad is really good served well chilled and is the perfect accompaniment to a barbecue along with a bowl of green salad and your favourite savoury rice.
Remove the skin from the cucumber. Finely slice the cucumber.
Put the cucumber slices in a large bowl and sprinkle with some salt – this will remove much of the cucumber’s liquid. Leave the cucumber for about 30-45 minutes.
Rinse the cucumber quickly in fresh water and pat dry with paper towels.
Put the cucumber slices in a bowl with all the other ingredients and stir well. Pour the mixture into a serving dish.
Decorate with dill and leave in the refrigerator to marinate for a few hours.