Everyone enjoys a delicious and healthy smoothie as they taste great! The main bonus is that because smoothies are made with different combinations of puréed fruit and raw vegetables they are packed with nutrients and are the clever way to get children to eat more veggie!
Smoothies were created back in the 1930s by some health food stores on the West Coast of the United States– not long after the invention of the electric blender. A variety of fruit and vegetables are whizzed in the blender with some water, milk or fruit juice and can include dairy products such as yogurt, ice cream and cottage cheese. By the 1980s a trendy new name had been created for these velvet smooth drinks that are not unlike a thick milk shake in consistency – Smoothie.
Smoothies of various kinds can be found in Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and Indian cuisines. Smoothies are definitely healthy for you. Over the years, various new types have become popular; these include ‘Green Smoothies’ that are usually made with leafy green vegetables such as spinach, kale, celery and Swiss chard. These are definitely nutritious but need to be carefully balanced with a slightly sweet addition like banana that will take away the bitterness and soften the flavour. Avocado Smoothies have also become popular as avocado has been hailed as a true ‘superfood’. If you are following the Keto diet which dramatically cuts the carbohydrates consumed, the good news is that there is an array of Keto Smoothies to enjoy. The Keto Diet can help weight loss, ensure better blood sugar levels and has been found to be beneficial for children suffering from epilepsy.
If you have never tried making a Smoothie, you will find them really easy to make using an electric blender/liquidiser.
Five easy steps to the perfect smoothie:
1. Decide what fruit and vegetables you would like to use for your smoothie. You will need three full teacups and if you are using frozen fruit, this will produce a thicker smoothie. Pour the mixture into the blender.
2. Decide what liquid you will use for the base of the smoothie. You will need one teacup of liquid. Water and fruit juice are good, but be careful of sugar levels if you are using both fruit juice and fruit. For extra protein, choose semi-skimmed milk or yogurt and for a lovely nutty taste, use almond milk. Add your chosen liquid to the blender.
3. Pop some green leaves into the blender, to increase the nutrition levels – spinach in particular cannot be tasted once it has been puréed.
4. The balance between fruit and vegetable should be 50-50, but you might still need to add a little sweetener. The classic is a spoonful of honey, but others include grated coconut and even a spoonful of smooth peanut butter.
5. Pop the lid securely on the blender and turn the machine on – it will take the maximum of one minute to produce a gorgeous smoothie! Pour your smoothie into a large attractive glass, add some ice and enjoy!
Here are some delicious smoothies to try:
Triple Berry Smoothie
This delicious recipe for Triple Berry Smoothie is a refreshing and healthy combination of raspberries, strawberries and blueberries, avocados and spinach. This recipe is a great way to get children to eat more veggies! It’s also perfect for anyone following the Keto Diet.
This easy recipe makes a super creamy green smoothie. Avocado is cholesterol -free and contains an amazing 20 vitamins and minerals including potassium and Vitamin B. If you are vegan this smoothie can be made with non-dairy milk and if you are on the Keto Diet you can use a Keto friendly milk and Stevia as the sweetener.
Smoothies usually increase the intake of nutrients and antioxidants so they are a great start to the day or to enjoy after a workout. They are the perfect solution for when your body is feeling sludgy! The great bonus is that after drinking this detox smoothie for five days consecutively, you will have noticeably clearer skin.